Tuesday, January 1, 2019

This blog

No, I haven't forgotten about this site, but it looks like I went for more than a year without posting anything and didn't post anything for 2018. Looks like the plan to update this at least once per year is over, but I'll still try to update this blog as long as it stays online. Also, it looks like the skateboard speed calculator has gotten quite popular, so I wouldn't want to make it difficult for everyone who relies on the calculator if I were to take the blog down.

I haven't gone hiking in quite some time now because it's more appealing to surf - my swimming and ocean abilities have improved to the point that I'm comfortable in most ocean conditions other than the massive winter waves that come into Oʻahu's north shore. We had a handful of storms send some wave swells to the south shore, and I took advantage of whatever waves we got during those times. Those storm swells only lasted for a couple days, but I made the most of it when the conditions were ideal.

Plus, when comparing surfing and hiking: on hotter days it's easier to grab the board and jump in the water, and on cooler days, it's just as easy to put on a wetsuit top and still go surfing. The weather variations in Hawaiʻi aren't too drastic, so it's never too cold to be in the water. The only thing that stops me (and probably everyone else) from going in the ocean is when there's brown water. The last time I talked about surfing, I talked about how I wipeout and end up cutting my feet on the shallow reef. If that is any gauge of surfing ability, then I can say that I've gotten better at surfing or knowing the spot, or both, because I haven't gotten any cuts in months. My surfer friend has also been showing me new spots, and we get to analyze and compare these other spots to our regular spot.

I have to say that the crowd at our regular surf spot really makes the experience pleasant and fun. We've gotten to know many of the regular surfers from the spot and consider them friends. Turns out Oʻahu is such a small island that a handful of the other regulars have a friend or coworker in common. We look out for each other and work together to make sure that each others' surfing sessions are as worry-free and productive as possible. I'm sure each of the other surf spots work this way, and the regulars become a close group of friends that all just enjoy the company and the ocean.

So this blog will most likely be transitioning from land-based topics to ocean- and surf-based topics when I decide to post something. I don't take video or pictures in the water though, so it's unlikely that I would put up any videos or pictures unless someone else takes them.

No comments:

Post a Comment